Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Peace in the Garden


So, my Mom's new favorite place is her front sitting garden. It has a bench, round metal table, and two sitting chairs. It is nestled next to our front steps and surrounded by flowers.


On Tuesday morning my Mom left for California to visit my brother and his family. I was left with the great job of making sure the flowers and vegetables don't die as well as keeping weeds (especially the infamous stinky weed) out of the garden. So that morning after working out I watered the garden and pulled weeds. Afterward I felt it only right to go have my quiet time in the front garden since that is what Mom would do.

After filling a glass of water and picking up my bible and notebook I settled on the bench. For a few minutes I just sat and listened to the birds singing and animals scurrying around the ground. "Wow, now I understand why Mom sits out here for hours and just can't get enough of it!", I thought. As a looked around I began to think about this small little area and how it was not remote or magnificent, there are just a variety of colorful flowers and you can look straight across the lawn to the neighbors houses. But somehow while sitting here the sound of cars driving by, kids playing, and people working on there houses seemed to disappear and all I felt was this great sense of peace.

If you know anything about me, you know I like to think in analogies and just can't get enough of them. So immediately the idea of this garden being like the peace God brings to us 24/7 despite the commotion and distractions in and around our lives. All we have to do it take a seat or step back and look around and you can begin to focus on the little hints of Him he surrounds us with like the flowers and animals.

"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at ALL time in EVERY way. The Lord be with you all." 1 Thessalonians 3:16

I ended up spending about half an hour or so there but certainly could have stayed longer! I'm not sure what Mom and I are going to do when she returns in 2 weeks and finds her space now has a second occupant :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoy it! We seem to be doing just fine at sharing it. You should try it at night, with the porch light off and enjoy the stars too.

    ReplyDelete